Water damage to your home or commercial property is some of the most disastrous and insidious damage your property can endure. Once you’ve finally cleaned up the mess and repaired the damage, the threat of hidden mold and mildew, which is not only physically damaging but can also be harmful to your family’s health, can remain. If your home has suffered water damage from a storm or as a result of any other cause, consult with an experienced Cortez, FL water damage claim lawyer today.
Common Water Damage Claims
Water damage in your home or commercial property can be the result of any number of causes, but some common ones include:
- Pipes that leak or have burst
- A leaky roof
- Drain systems that fail or otherwise malfunction
- Storm-driven rains
Your insurance policy should cover all of these categories of damage – and many more. One cause that insurance policies typically do not cover is flooding (you generally need a separate policy for flooding), but even if you think your home’s damage was caused by flooding (and even if your insurance agent tells you it was), your issue may not be classified under the legal definition of flooding. It is always in your best interest to consult with an experienced water damage claim lawyer before giving up on a claim or settling for compensation that doesn’t fully cover your damages.
Was My Damage Caused by Flooding or Rainwater?
While your insurance policy may not cover flooding, it can be tricky to discriminate between damage that’s caused by flooding and damage that’s caused by rainwater. Insurance companies can be quick to categorize many forms of water damage as flooding related, but this is often just a technique used to minimize settlement offers or to deny claims outright. A knowledgeable water damage claim lawyer will help you get to the bottom of the matter and move your claim forward with purpose.
Insurance Companies and Their Excuses
Insurance companies are in the business of turning massive profits, and as mentioned, this means they sometimes go to great lengths in order to pay out less than is entirely fair. In these efforts, they tend to have an arsenal of excuses that they return to again and again, including:
- The insurance company may contend that you failed to mitigate the water damage early on and that your home’s damage was far more serious as a result. The fact is that you are responsible for taking reasonable action to help protect your home from further damage after the original water damage has occurred. This can include things like turning off the water source to your home and engaging in whatever other useful measures are available to you. These are actions you are naturally going to want to take to help protect and preserve your home, and it’s unlikely that you failed to hold up your end of that bargain.
- The insurance company may contend that the damage was caused by a leak that you chose to ignore and left unrepaired.
- The insurance company may contend that your damage is the result of you failing to adhere to maintenance schedules and to resolve any underlying issues.
- The insurance company may contend that your home flooded as a result of construction defects.
Again, the insurance company may also blame the damage on flooding. In the end, the insurance company is very likely to attempt to identify a reason or two why you may be responsible for the flooding damage at hand. Don’t let this discourage you. Simply think of it as business as usual and work closely with an aggressive water damage claim lawyer.
The Best Path Forward Is with an Experienced Cortez, FL Water Damage Claim Lawyer by Your Side
Water damage is some of the most difficult damage to remedy, and the damaging effects can linger. If your home or commercial property has suffered water damage, the Cortez, FL water damage claim lawyers at The Law Offices of Jerrod Paul, PA, have the experience, fortitude, and resources to skillfully fight for the compensation to which you are entitled. We’re on your side – not the insurance company’s – so, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us for more information today.